Our Mission as a Nonprofit Arts Organization
The Musical Theater Project (TMTP) was formed in 1998 to celebrate, preserve and honor the songs and tradition of the 20th-century classic American musical, guiding participants of all cultures in learning about and making personal connections with this art form.
Watch the video below to learn more about who we are.
What is The Musical Theater Project all about?
Americans have an enduring love affair with Broadway and Hollywood musicals. It’s our very own art form, combining song and dance to express what we can be at our best.
More than 100 years of America’s cultural history is tied to our musicals, and The Musical Theater Project documents and celebrates that history in a seamless blend of entertainment and education. For more than 20 years, TMTP has produced concerts, in-school residency programs, radio broadcasts and recordings that:
- Create personal connections with the songs, characters and themes of the American musical.
- Document the lives of important American musical theater artists.
- Explore the connections between the musical and the rich diversity of the American experience.
- Examine the relevance of musical theater in contemporary society.
Experience Our Cleveland Nonprofit Music Organization
As it is our mission to connect people to American musical theater, we have programs that are suitable for a range of age groups and interest levels which provides a number of ways to experience the magic of The Musical Theater Project:
- Concerts – Each concert hosted by our music nonprofit explores the cultural and historical impact of musical theater. Our shows are often referred to as a “docu-concert” or live documentary because they are a unique combination of live performance, still images, and video clips.
- Radio programs – TMTP broadcasts a weekly program on over 100 stations, reaching both national and international listeners. Our radio programs are available to listeners free of charge.
- Harbinger Records – A subsidiary of The Musical Theater Project, Harbinger Records was founded in 1983. Harbinger’s focus is on creating albums for the collector dedicated to the Great American Songbook. An ideal fit for the discerning album collector, Harbinger Records is a company that our Cleveland nonprofit music organization is proud to call our own.
- Kids Love Musicals! – Through Kids Love Musicals!, we have the unique opportunity to connect with local youth and provide an immersive, educational experience in the classroom. Our ability as a nonprofit music organization to empower students and encourage them to apply creativity and imagination while they learn about the historical and cultural impact of musical theater is a connection that we cherish.
- Let’s Go to the Movies… at Home! – Our subscribers are given access to our monthly streaming film and subsequent discussion. Each month, we take an inside look at a movie musical and host a live Zoom discussion to break down the impact of the performance with Let’s Go to the Movies… at Home!
Contribute to The Musical Theater Project
If you share an interest in education through musical theater, consider becoming a member of our Cleveland nonprofit organization! Our members are invaluable, as they are the reason that we can continue to pursue our mission of fostering a deep appreciation of the classic American musical while examining the important social history that is inherently present in each performance.